Job Responsibilities : INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST I
Salary : $5,815 – $9,408 a month
Company : California Public Utilities Commission
Location : Remote US
Job Description and Duties
. The incumbent will work from their home in Fresno County. Remote staff will be required to travel to our Headquarters in Oakland CA up to three (3) days per month. The travel costs are paid for at the State rate by the State Coastal Conservancy.
The Coastal Conservancy is hiring an Information Technology Specialist I to be part of a small team of talented employees providing technical support to Conservancy staff in support of various business programs. This will include management and development of software tools for an SQL database development of data management tools in Excel support with cloud-based software as a service system such as SharePoint and web-based conferencing systems such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams. This position will manage Information Technology (IT) projects systems engineering and information security.
Fresno Santa Barbara Solano Monterey San Luis Obispo Santa Cruz Butte Yolo Humboldt Ventura Mendocino Counties. Only apply for the counties you are willing to work and live.
receive further consideration for the positions (state application std. 678 college transcripts or degree and cover letter). Resumes will NOT be reviewed.
To take the Information Technology Specialist I exam click this link: 7PB35.PDF (ca.gov) or the Information Technology Specialist I (LEAP) exam click this link: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/0PBFK.PDF
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
- Monday through Friday. This is a permanent remote position. The incumbent would work from their home in Fresno County.
- You will be expected to be in the Oakland office up to 3 days a month. All costs (transportation hotel per diem for meals) for travel to the Oakland office will be paid by the Conservancy.
- Operate various IT equipment daily. Work with routers and switches etc. weighing approximately 25-40 lbs.; and move equipment either solely (50 lbs. max.) or with another person (100 lbs. max.) as needed.
- Expected to multitask meet deadlines and adjust to changing priorities in a cooperative manner.
- May require travel within California approximately 5-7 times per year sometimes staying overnight.
You will find the Minimum Requirements in the Class Specification.
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST I
The Conservancy office is located in Oakland California near 12
Department Website: www.scc.ca.gov
Willingness as a learner to do routine or detailed work in order to learn the practical application of administrative principles; and demonstrated capacity for development as evidenced by work history academic attainment participation in school or other activities or by well-defined occupational or vocational interests; and willingness/ability to accept increasing responsibility.
Dates printed on Mobile Bar Codes such as the Quick Response (QR) Codes available at the USPS are not considered Postmark dates for the purpose of determining timely filing of an application.
Final Filing Date: Until Filled
Who May Apply
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
How To Apply
Address for Mailing Application Packages
You may submit your application and any applicable or required documents to:
Address for Drop-Off Application Packages
You may drop off your application and any applicable or required documents at:
Required Application Package Documents
The following items are required to be submitted with your application. Applicants who do not submit the required items timely may not be considered for this job:
- Current version of the State Examination/Employment Application STD Form 678 (when not applying electronically) or the Electronic State Employment Application through your Applicant Account at www.CalCareers.ca.gov. All Experience and Education relating to the Minimum Qualifications listed on the Classification Specification should be included to demonstrate how you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position.
- Degree and/or School Transcripts
- Other –
Cover Letter – Please provide a cover letter describing your interest in and suitability for the position. Your cover letter should address the desirable qualifications listed in this announcement below and any other information you would lie the hiring manager to know. Please limit your cover letter to one page. Writing proficiency and content expressed via this cover letter will be used in the application evaluation process.
Applicants requiring reasonable accommodations for the hiring interview process must request the necessary accommodations if scheduled for a hiring interview. The request should be made at the time of contact to schedule the interview. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations may be directed to the EEO contact listed on this job posting.
- Knowledge and experience developing and managing SQL databases
- Experience transitioning a desktop application to web-based application
- Experience leading similar-scale IT Projects
- Communication skills
- Work cooperatively with all levels of staff and management exercise sound judgement and to breakdown problems with a “can-do” attituded.
- Have a clear understanding of information technology concepts best practices methods principles and the system development life cycle
- Knowledge of data processing distributed systems architecture data modeling Web application design data warehousing relational database (including SQL SharePoint Microsoft Active Directory) workflow and change management methodologies
- Network experience working in a Microsoft Active Directory domain environment
- Familiarity and sensitivity to the priorities missions and goals of the Conservancy and all programs
- Knowledge of TCPIP/Internet/Intranet/Extranet theory and operation
- Must have a good working knowledge of personal computers including Windows desktop OS environments and Microsoft Office Suite to include Word Excel Power Point Outlook and Visio
- Must possess knowledge of general information technologies practices and methods including an awareness of major computing environments
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn.
- Click on the link to complete the State Coastal Conservancy Recruitment Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SCChiring
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
- A candidate pool may be established to fill subsequent vacancies.
- Please do not include any confidential information such as social security number marital status ethnicity age or disability information on any of the documentation uploaded with your online application.
- Priority will be given to persons with State Restriction of Appointments (SROA) or Surplus status. Applicants must attach a copy of their most recently dated letter that specifies their designation as either SROA or surplus candidate as proof.
- Qualified candidates must be in a reachable rank on an employment list for the Information Technology Specialist I.
To take the Information Technology Specialist 1 exam click this link: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/7PB35.PDF or the Information Technology Specialist I (LEAP) exam click this link: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/0PBFK.PDF
- If the classification you are applying for has an education requirement Degree and/or School Transcripts will be required to verify you meet the minimum qualifications of the classification. Please be sure to redact any confidential information before uploading your transcripts.
- If you do not hear from us in 4-6 weeks from the final file date you may assume another applicant has filled the position. Please note that all additional vacancies that become available may be added to this advertisement.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all regardless of age ancestry color disability (mental and physical) exercising the right to family care and medical leave gender gender expression gender identity genetic information marital status medical condition military or veteran status national origin political affiliation race religious creed sex (includes pregnancy childbirth breastfeeding and related medical conditions) and sexual orientation.
It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State the rules governing Civil Service and the special trust placed in public servants.